Friday, May 7, 2021

Season 38: GT Cup: Round 7 at Road America (21 laps)

Aka: The battle of Elkhart Lake.  With a few minutes left in qualifying I had pole position, but somehow I knew Tristan was going to go faster, so i went out again and tried even harder.  The result was pole by only 0.1 of a second.  But pole none the less, vital for the run into turn 1.  Both me and Tris were in white Lolas.  I thought that was a good thing...


Race start was okay, was well ahead and through turn 1, but since I'm on the right hand side I did have a tighter line.  Tris used the chance to get a run out of turn 1 but was wrong footed slightly behind my car.  By the time he got to the inside line we were going at about the same speed, so he slotted back in behind me.  I braked as normal for turn 2, and Tristan ran into the back of me and we both spun off.

I got back on in about 6th, angry as hell, with Tris trailing behind, and started working though the field.  I found I could overtake cars in the tricky section leading up to Canada corner, but it wasn't easy.  And I was effectively making a way for Tris.  I got up to 2nd, but got balked by the leader which gave Tris a look exiting Canada corner, he then trips the right rear corner of my car and I go off.  I rejoin 3rd, and pissed off.  I managed to chase Tris down, as he had trouble passing the leader, and I put my nose in the inside of a left handler where it probably shouldn't go.  Tris turned across, hit my nose and spun off.  I got to the lead, but again Tris wasn't far behind.  Once he was second, he started hunting me down.  I was pushing hard, but the gap was closing.  Then finally I made a mistake under the long downhill braking for turn 3, downchanged into neutral and half spun.  Tris hit me and knocked me upside down.  I had to reset, chased desperately after Tris over the last few laps but to no avail.


I registered an incident report after the race specifically regarding the turn 2 collision.  Ukgpl has a blanket lap one no-contact rule, which means T should get a penalty.  But Axel the administrator has stated he thinks this championship is more for fun.  ?  Why all the rules and regs then?  Why have championship points?


Temporary (as far as I am concerned) standings:

Tristain: 274

Mark: 266


3 races to go

No comments:

Post a Comment