Thursday, November 3, 2016

Testing in New York

(Still waiting on the outcome of the protest, so rather than dinner we just went to a Whiskey bar.  It was very tasty.)

Now we go to Watkins Glen, version 1971.  This is a great, fast flowing racetrack.  We're in the CanAm cars, and it's been a great challenge getting wound up round here.  Rules are free in terms of car choice, but we have to do a fuel stop and a stop and go.  I've gone with the M8F, the obvious choice.  When I started off it was a mess.  The old setup I had from a race several years ago was just awful, far too stiff and bouncing over every bump.  I've reworked everything, softening up the chassis and opening up the diff, and it's made a huge difference.  I can do low 1.05's pretty easy, and if I really concentrate I can almost break into the 1.04's.  More importantly, the car is feeling great, lots of grip and very predictable.

The only issue is a small locking of the front brakes into the slower corners.  I can drive around it, and it is safer, but I'm working on dialing it out a bit.  Overall the car feels great.  Did some pitstop practice as well, and that went well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment