Thursday, August 25, 2016

Testing at Le Mans

Finally the long break is over and the next round is up - GT's at Le Mans.  I've had a lot of success at this track over the years, but it's always important to start from scratch and build up steam slowly.  There's only one car here from the 1967 set that's competitive - the Mark 4 GT40.  It's a truck compared to the other cars, but it's a truck that works brilliantly at this particular track.  I'm pulling 220 mph down the Mulsanne!  Getting back in the Mk4 is always a bit of a shock, but after a few laps it all starts to come back.  I'm running a bit behind this week, I've been recovering from a cold so I've lost some practice time already.

Testing here is all about picking up where I left off last time.  You always end up making a few small adjustments to the setup even if the old setup was good enough for a win.  Amazingly I'm up to version 9 of the setup for this track, 9 iterations over the years.  After some initial fiddling about that really only ended up making the car lock it's tyres here and there I calmed it down and ran a good consistent series of laps.  Pitstops will be a part of this race, so I also practiced hammering into pitlane and stopping on the boards.  Once you get dialed into this thing it can feel absurdly comfortable, it feels sometimes more like a train than a car.  More practice needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment